5.23.2005

Dumplings and peanuts

This isn't a prayer request, but just a fun story I thought I'd share with you. Tonight out at the new campus, the students had a party for us. One of the guys that Logan has been working with is the class president, so he has some connections at the university. He arranged to reserve the whole upstairs section of the cafeteria for the party. He also thought that a fun activity for the party would be to teach the foreigners how to make dumplings, which are something of a specialty here. He invited his whole class and some other friends to be our teachers (which also provided a really good time for the summer project people to meet a lot of students who speak English there).

There were four tables with nine people at each table--three foreigners and six students. It was fun to watch the students as they made the dumplings. Then they started getting us involved in the dumpling making process. I told the guy beside me that mine weren't turning out so well. He kindly responded that it was ok because it was my first time to make dumplings. That's when my face turned a little red and I had to sheepishly admit that it wasn't my first time making dumplings and that the ones I'd made before hadn't turned out so well either.

After that, the students planned a little relay race to see who could carry the most peanuts from one side of the room to the other in two minutes using chop sticks. Hopefully I'll put some fun pictures from that little race on this page soon.

No comments: